Saturday, February 21, 2015

Multi-published Author Rose Zediker



Rose Ross Zediker's byline is found on over 60 works of fiction, nonfiction and Sunday school curriculum.
At the 2015 Wordsowers Writers Conference this  ACFW  and SCBWI author shares five reasons why breaking into the Christian children's magazine market is a good place to start your writing career.


Rose Ross Zediker, Author


Jeanie:  We're looking forward to your workshop, "Breaking into the Christian Children's Magazine Market." Can you tell us a little about what you'll cover?

Rose: Sometimes writing for magazines and Sunday school take home papers is an overlooked market for aspiring and established writers. I will give writer's five good reasons to write for these paying markets. In addition, I will talk about work for hire opportunities within this market as well. I hope workshop attendees come with many questions!

Jeanie: Rose, you work full time at the University of South Dakota. How do you fit your writing career in with your job, family, and other commitments?


Rose: It's all about organization, scheduling and saying 'no'. I've been writing since 1991 for publication so I've had years to hone this process. I'm not an early riser nor do I write late into night, so I have learned to utilize my free time to work on my writing projects. At the beginning of each month, I set goals. The monthly goals are then broken down to weekly goals. At the start of each week, I decide what I need to accomplish to insure my writing goals are met and how that fits in with the weeks upcoming social commitments. If for example, I have an organization meeting one evening, I know I'll have to write during my lunch hour to achieve my goal. I do want to point out that I'm not socially over-committed anymore. I've learned to say 'no' to activities that infer with my valuable writing time. I allow only one 'social' engagement per week on my calendar and this includes organization meetings and dinners/lunches with friends.


Jeanie: In addition to your work in the children's market, you also write inspirational romances under Harlequin’s Heartsong Presents line. What advice would you give to someone looking to break into that genre?



http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Ross-Zediker/e/B002RIBATSRose: Well, unfortunately, Harlequin will close the Heartsong Present's line of romance novels in June 2015. However, my advice to anyone who wants to break into the inspirational romance market is: Read the genre. Get a feel for what your target publisher has recently published. Follow any and all blogs put out by the publisher and if you submit something to them, follow their guidelines to the letter. I broke into the inspirational romance market when Barbour Books published the Heartsong Presents line. I followed their editor's blog and they put a call out for 'gray-haired love'. I wrote the book, drafted up a proposal and it sold. BTW-I can't stress enough that writer's should answer manuscript calls put out by editor's in their writing field. I've garnered many sales/bylines this way.
Jeanie: How can we pray for you?


Rose: I'll ask for prayers for my extended family. In December one of my second cousins, 33, passed away in a single engine plane crash. In February, another second cousin age 32, passed away unexpectedly of heart disease. The first death was on my mother's side of the family, the second my fathers. Please pray for their families comfort during their difficult hours of mourning. 
 Rose, thanks for being with us today.

http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Ross-Zediker/e/B002RIBATSLearn more on Rose's blog. Plus find her latest release, Dakota Love, on her author's page



Rose Ross Zediker lives in rural Elk Point, SD with her husband. Their son and daughter-in-law have blessed them with two wonderful granddaughters. Rose works full time at the University of South Dakota and writes during the evening or weekends. Some of her pastimes include reading, sewing, embroidery, quilting and spoiling her granddaughters.
Besides writing inspirational romance novels, Rose has many publishing credits in the Christian children’s genre. She is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers. - See more at: http://www.fictionfinder.com/author/detail/318#sthash.O0zLdxei.dpuf

Rose Ross Zediker lives in rural Elk Point, SD with her husband. Their son and daughter-in-law have blessed them with two wonderful granddaughters. Rose works full time at the University of South Dakota and writes during the evening or weekends. Some of her pastimes include reading, sewing, embroidery, quilting and spoiling her granddaughters.
Besides writing inspirational romance novels, Rose has many publishing credits in the Christian children’s genre. She is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers. - See more at: http://www.fictionfinder.com/author/detail/318#sthash.O0zLdxei.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment