Monday, March 9, 2015

CWAHM Founder Jill Hart

Jill Hart, founder of the popular Christian work-at-home website, CWAHM.com, speaks to audiences around the country on faith, business and leadership topics. She's written for Focus on the Family's Thriving Family, In Touch Magazine, P31 Woman, and across the web on sites like DrLaura.com. She's authored several books, including Do Life Different and So You Want To Be a Work-at-Home Mom.



At the 2015 Wordsowers Christian Writers Conference Jill presents her workshop:



 Writing as a Business - Creating a Plan for Success. Tax tips, ideas for planning your writing business and using your time efficiently.



Jeanie: Many writers, myself included, focus on the excitement of having our submissions purchased without thinking about the IRS's cut. Will your workshop cover any record-keeping strategies for tax time? 

Jill: Yes, I'll share some of my experiences in dealing with the IRS and tax issues. I am certainly not a tax professional or expert, though, so any specific tax related questions should be directed to an accountant or tax preparer. 

What I can offer, however, is 15 years of experience in how I've handled tax and bookkeeping issues. And I'll be sharing stories of what NOT to do, so others can learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

Jeanie: What are some highlights of your workshop?

Jill: We'll be covering some basic principles of how to treat your writing as a business. To be successful as a writer you need to not only your writing, you need to know how to handle the "back end" of things as well - things like tracking expenses and which expenses are deductible. 

Writers also need to be aware of when they must pay taxes on their writing - the income threshold that makes them accountable to the IRS. Especially as Christian writers we want to be sure to run our businesses ethically and above reproach.


Jeanie: With CWAHM, writing, speaking, video blogs, and radio spots you have a full plate. How do you maintain a balance between your spiritual life, family, and business?

Jill: I'm not sure that balance is truly attainable. It seems to me that there is always one area of my life getting less time than the others, and that "one area" is continually changing.

I've learned that it's more important to be aware of where you're at in each of the areas you mentioned (spiritual life, family and business) and willing to maintain a flexible attitude. I'm constantly bopping back and forth between each area, taking stock of how things are going and making changes accordingly. I think it's a life-long journey, but I fully believe it's worth it!



Jeanie:  How can we pray for you? 

Jill: I would love for you to pray for me as I prepare to speak. I've also recently started graduate school to pursue my Master's in Counseling (a life-long dream of mine), so I would covet your prayers as my brain re-learns what it's like to be a student. And, for my husband and kids, as they lovingly give me some extra time during this season to prepare for speaking engagements and go to school. I am blessed!

 


Follow these links to learn more about Jill, her CWAHM business, and her books.

And, of course, meet her in person at the 2015 Wordsowers Christian Writers Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment